People nowadays are being bombarded with different kinds of illnesses and diseases, and along with these growing cases, the emergence of unhealthy products that claims all goodness for the body are also on the rise. Why settle for uncertainties when you can go for an all-natural and safe alternative? Medicinal herbs will do it all for you.
For countless years, herbs have played a significant role in human’s lives – from romance, politics, religion and most especially health. Knowledge about herbs has been passed down from generation to generation, and with little modifications due to growing studies from researchers, herbs continue to become widely known as excellent promoters of health due to their all-natural properties and fight numerous conditions.
Not only are herbs good for the body, but good for the pocket as well. There is no other better way to make use of an extra space in your lot than making it a garden for medicinal herbs. Herbs grown in your own very little garden should be the ones that contain the most medicinal values. No need to spend a lot of money for synthetic medicines when you can find it all in your garden.
Even in the light of modern synthetic medicinal products, many people are still looking for medicinal herbs as their source for disease prevention, healing and well-being. Herbs, if used and consumed at the right kind and amount will provide more medicinal benefits than one could expect without adverse side effects. With the numerous herbs all around, here are the 8 most researches herbs today.
- GarlicWhile garlic is commonly used as a food necessity, many studies have proved the medicinal benefits that garlic could provide. Therapeutic qualities of garlic include it as being antibacterial, antiseptic, diuretic, digestion stimulator, glandular regulator, reducing high blood pressure and even as preventive for cancer. Though it is not used much internally due to its strong smell, it is known that taking 2-3 cloves of garlic a day helps in treating pharyngitis and intestinal infections.A study published in the January 2009 issue of the International Chemistry Journal Angewandte Chemie proves that allicin - a compound contained in garlic that gives its aroma and flavor, acts as the world’s most powerful antioxidant. Herbalist and director, Amanda McQuade-Crawford of the Ojai Center of Phytotherapy in California suggests that regular use of garlic helps in the prevention of cardiovascular diseases, lowering blood pressure and cancer prevention. High garlic intake was found by researchers in China to reduce gastric cancer.
- HawthornAccording to McQuade-Crawford, hawthorn is a flowering shrub that produces berries which is known to be good for the heart because of its antioxidant content that dilates smooth muscles in the heart and blood vessels for increased blood flow. It aids in lowering a raised diastolic blood pressure and low blood pressure because of arrhythmia and weak heart muscle. Other conditions that can benefit form hawthorn are angina, congestive heart failure, atherosclerosis and hypertension. In addition, hawthorn tea helps in treating anxiety.
- Ginkgo BilobaThe chemical substances contained in the leaves of ginkgo biloba provide its medicinal benefits. Mainly used as a concentration and memory enhancer, it also acts as an anti-vertigo agent and improved blood circulation due to the herbs effect on the veins. The author of Fighting Radiation & Chemical Pollutants with Foods, Herbs & Vitamins, Steven Schechter, N.D., says that ginkgo biloba helps in improving microcirculation to the eyes suffering from senile macular degeneration, thus benefiting visual functions. Conditions that could benefit from ginkgo biloba include tinnitus, memory impairment, neurological disorders and disturbances, edema and circulatory disorders, including increased blood flow to the tissues in glands and organs, heart and brain.
- LicoriceLicorice is a powerful antiviral containing 10 antioxidants, 25 fungicidal and 9 expectorant compounds. According to McQuade-Crawford, it helps treat gastrointestinal ulceration by soothing and relaxing actions that help smooth muscles on contact in the gastrointestinal tract. It also helps in slowing the progression of HIV to AIDS and studies show that licorice was able to reduce the reproduction of HIV in test tubes. Japanese researchers also suggest that licorice help women with ovarian cysts by lowering their testosterone levels and increasing their fertility.
- BilberryDiabetes treatment is deemed not possible without bilberry. Its compositional structure gives anti-infectious, anti-diabetic, anti-diarrhea and anti-hemorrhagic properties and also provides cure for cystitis, enteritis and circulatory disorders. As said by Schechter, bilberry is also a powerful antioxidant that helps generate overall well-being and benefits the heart, brain, eyes and the circulatory system by increased blood flow. Bilberry extracts can also improve visual functions like enlarged vision range and sharp images, improvement of eyestrain, nearsightedness and blurred vision, as well as strengthening coronary arteries and preventing atherosclerosis.
- EchinaceaEchinacea’s capacity to white blood cell activation and regenerating the epidermis and cellular connective tissue has been found in numerous studies. It helps in eliminating foreign bodies by increasing two vital components of the immune system. Echinacea is also regarded as a preventer of influenza as its extract protects non-infected cells from viral infections and also as an allergy treatment according to German studies.
- GinsengMedicinal benefits of ginseng include tonic, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-depressive, hypotensive, hypocholesterolemic, hypoglycemic, and aphrodisiac effects. Known as the most widely studied herb, numerous studies have shown how it helps physical and mental performance. It improves concentration and memory processes, improved blood circulation and lung function. According to Michael Tierra, N.D.’s Planetary Herbology, it calms the spirit and helps in strengthening the lungs. Increasing disease resistance and longevity is also benefited from taking ginseng. It can also reduce fatigue and revitalize weak body and is recommended for those who exert serious physical efforts.
- Milk ThistleAccording to Schecter, the seed extract of milk thistle gives the most benefits for the detoxification, regeneration and protection of the liver and is generally one of the most necessary herbal products of the 1990’s. It stimulates the body’s production of superoxide distumase, one of the two primary antioxidants manufactured by the body, which helps in eradicating the free radicals attacking the liver.